Monday, March 29, 2010

5 year old addict

So, this does not really fall under a new for the day. But it is cute and it is a new experience none the less.
I was at my friends house and I was watching these two five year old girls and a three year old getting drinks for themselves. They all went to the fridge. They all had the same options. They all chose for themselves. The three year old picked a juice box. The first five year old chose a juice box but then noticed the other 5 year old has a can of Ginger ale. So she put her juice box back and got another can of Ginger ale out of the fridge.
As the three year old drank and the five year olds filled their cups instead of drinking out of the can, they discussed if the three year old was allowed to have Ginger ale. The two five year olds where very concerned to make sure that they did not do anything that the three year old's mother would disapprove of. Very conscious of them I must add.
So this debate of can she or can't she continues between the five year olds. The three year old is extremely happy with her juice box and is drinking away while they discuss her all around her.
The first five year old has decided that the three year old is too young. We were much older when we could drink Ginger ale.
The second five year old pipes up with, "I was five when I started ginger ale." She is so the addict in the making! Of course I wanted to point out to her that she is still five. But because her birthday is in 3 and a half months she is more 6 than she is 5 in her mind!
I just loved how she thinks. You have to be old enough to experience things. You have to watch out for those around you so that they do not experience things to soon. You have to inspire the desire to want to have things in their proper time. And you have to learn the patience to stick it out until the time comes.
So, I can say that my new for the day is learning from a 5 year old. (of course that happens all the time for me with the circle of friends I hang out with!) But it was a new lesson and that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment