Sunday, March 14, 2010

Grandma's house

Over the River and Thru the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go!
This is my new event. I have never taken children to Grandma's House. But today I did! Today I actually drove thru the woods, and over the river, although I found out later that I was not suppose to go over the river, to Grandmother's house.
We left early in the morning, drove all day, and arrived to the friendliest greeting I've had in along time. Grandma was waiting for us on the porch. I could almost smell the chocolate chip cookies from the road!
Of course, Grandma was waiting on the porch because I let 5 year olds tell me which way to turn to get to Grandma's house and we had already called to say we were lost. This was not a wise idea, and after the dogs from a wrong turn tried to attack the car, the small children also thought it was not wise to let them navigate. But alas, one last wrong turn and we pull over to find out where we were and this man in a white truck passes us and asks if we are OK. I let him know I am just looking to find where I am going. He waves and drives off. The small children, who have steered me wrong multiple times this trip, start yelling, "Uncle Pete! Uncle Pete!" Of course the man has already driven away so I can not ask him if he is Uncle Pete. But the twins are certain that this man, in this white truck, is Uncle Pete.
"Follow him! He'll lead us to Grandma's house!" I point out to them that there are 792 million white trucks in Texas. But they don't care. This is Uncle Pete's Truck. This is Uncle Pete!
What the heck-We can't get any more lost than we already are, so I follow this strange truck with this strange Uncle Pete in it! And you know what...It was Uncle Pete! As we turned the last corner and I now recognized Uncle Pete's House and Uncle Pete's Wife I was very happy to have listened to the 5 year olds!
Needless to say, Uncle Pete gave us clear directions and we made it to Grandma's house and all is well.
We are having fun and we are getting spoiled and we are eating way to many good things that Grandma made just for us!
So I guess that it is good to go to Grandma's house even if a 5 year old is giving directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment