Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Plant a tree...

As I was discussing my new Birthday Adventure with my Life Coach this morning I decided today’s new experience is planting a tree. I have never planted a tree and this seems like a great time to change that. One of the subjects that my coach and I discussed was the fact that life happens progressively. It is not the kind of experience that happens to you and then is over with. This is a journey. When we started talking about my goals and plans it was pointed out that I did not gain all of my weight over night, therefore I will not lose it over night. That also goes for my fears, my misunderstandings, my grief’s and my goals. They did not happen over night and they will not be manifested over night. So that got me thinking about seeds. That life really is about planting seeds and watching them grow. So I figured the act of planting a tree and watching it grow could be a reminder of life’s journey.
So I purchased the tree. The fact that you can hand someone $30 and drive away with a real live tree is still amazing to me. It’s like buying a miracle. So I gently drive my tree home at 65 miles per hour. And I begin digging the hole. Let me just start by saying digging a hole big enough to fit a 6 ft baby tree is harder than you think. Especially in West Texas soil! So I dig about 6 inches down and I hit Rock! Which are really large blocks of solid concrete. But I continue to dig. I continue to break up the dirt. And I continue to deepen the hole. I am also now working up a sweat. I finally get it to a reasonable depth. I shake the pot off around my new tree and then work it down into my new hole. It fits! Halleluiah! I pack it back in and I now have a tree, where there never was a tree. It’s a beautiful form of art, of creativity.
After this fine form of bonding with nature I head to the gym to do water aerobics. Now, I know that so many of you have an image of water aerobics. Cute petite scantily clad women jumping up and down looking so much like Ester Williams that you would consider joining. This is not the class I am attending. There is not a woman under 200 lbs in the group. And our instructor is Richard Simmons with baggy breast in a one piece and a voice weighted down by years of smoking. You get the most annoyingly peepy cheerleader type who is really lucky to have found her calling at such a young age of 53. But I must bless her-because my bum and arms are totally soar, so she must have done something right. I think in the long run she will be a great addition to my birthday tour. Class was absolutely amazing. Have you ever realized that when everyone else shares the same fears that you fear, we all seem a little less afraid? That is there is not an ounce of uncomfortably about being in a bathing suit. We are all in bathing suits. We are all not the typical beauties, and yet these women that I met today are strong, confident, beautiful women. They are just working on seeing those qualities for themselves. All of these women were very helpful for me and were very pleasant company. At the end everyone checked to see that I would be coming back. So I guess that I am part of the team!
As I sit here and look at my tree I am still in awe of its life. It is a baby, yet it is over 6 ft tall. It is less than 2 inches wide and yet it will grow to about 4 feet wide. I look at this as the perfect daily motivator. As the tree gets fatter, and I get skinner, we are both getting stronger.
Bye for now and Remember I love you-because

No comments:

Post a Comment