Friday, March 5, 2010

What you can lean from the seasoned members of society...

Today I went to the Silver Sneakers Swimming Aerobics class. Try saying that 3 times fast! It was a blast. All these little old ladies talking about grandkids and recipes and life. This class only meets on Friday mornings and some of these women have been coming here before they even had grandchildren. And I’ve heard all about it, some of these women now even have great grandchildren!
One of the gray haired beauties had apparently been sick, so it had been a few weeks since she had been here. So she needed to be welcomed back to the fold and filled in on all that she had missed. I love these women. They are beautiful inside and out. They talk about all the good that they are doing in the world and they give advise on how to help others overcome difficult situations. It really is beautiful. And all this is done while wearing a bathing suit and swirling around in a pool kicking my butt with how graceful and proficient their movements are. These women rock when it comes to exercising in the water!
So I carry on with them and finish the workout and head to the locker room. Now, I must say, I am not shy when it comes to my body. I’m fat, I'm a girl, and I never got the whole being naked is suppose to make people suddenly see your body in a different light. Like I said earlier, with or without my clothes on I’m still fat, still a girl and still me!
I have learned from my not so skin comfy friends that my comfort sometimes makes people uncomfortable. So I don’t go around flaunting my naked body at everyone. (Ok, not all the time.) I do have some reserve bones in my body and I was using them with these women. WRONG thing to do. These women decided that I was not comfortable with my body so they decided to initiate me. Or at least that is what it felt like to me.
So, about 6, 65-year-old women are standing buck naked in front of me carrying on a conversation. Telling me that we all have the same stuff so no need to worry. I promise, I could not make this stuff up!!!! So we all get changed. As the pack finishes getting ready the really talkative “Betty” tells me about her first time in a YMCA locker room.
She was much younger, as she relayed it. She had gone to stay with her Aunt for the summer. Her Aunt told her to bring her swimsuit since they could do water aerobics at the Y. She said all the ladies in the class were about 90 years old. And when they were all done and changing in the locker room they all walked around like there was no big deal. She asked her Aunt if this is what she would have to look forward to when she got older. Her Aunt assured her yes.
Having been an inquisitive creature her whole life, the women in front of me informed me that she asked her Aunt why none of the old ladies had any pubic hair! (If you’re already saying “TMI” it gets worse!) This little old lady is now standing face forward in front of me wearing only her bra and Panties. “My Aunt asked me if there was grass in a playground? That area is a playground, so no grass grows there!”
What do you say after that????? I just smiled and nodded. She continued to say, “It really is a playground, you know?”
So today’s “New” experience is just that! A totally New Experience!
Let me just say that Granny Panties have a whole new meaning for me now!
Remember, I love you because…

2 comments:

  1. Again, only you'd have these stories to tell! Being one of those "not so skin comfy" friends I would've been (silently) freaking out. I'm glad you are comfortable with naked people. I wish I was more so. Just wasn't raised around it. Again, it's one of the quirks I totally love about you!! :)--Eskimo Chicken!!

    ReplyDelete