Sunday, March 14, 2010

Head Butting

OK,I did not do this, but I witnessed it. And since I am pretty sure that no one else has ever witnessed this I am going to count it as my new experience.
I watched a 63 year old woman Head Butt a twenty something woman.
I was in my water aerobics class on Friday and we started out just like any other Friday. All the lovely old Bettys and me. We are just getting started when in comes this woman in her twenties. She is dressed in an Olympic type swimsuit, with goggles, fins, hair cap and her own splash board. She is a professional. She is here to work out.
I should mention that up until this moment the lovely ladies around me have been yakking and having fun and not really 'working out.' Don't get me wrong, they are here to exercise, just sometimes it is a tie between their mouths and legs on which one got the harder workout! And they know it!
But all mouths stopped as this woman entered the pool. She did not enter into the "Lap" lane. She did not enter into the area that was intended for serious swimmers. She jumped right in to "Their" territory and started her laps. Full force, perfect form and much attitude was performed by this woman.
One stroke, two strokes, three strokes. All hell broke out!
"Do you see her?"
"Who does she think she is?"
"What right does she have?"
"She is in our Territory!"
"This is our space, does she not see that we are exercising here?"
"She has to go!"
I watch as these beautiful, peaceful sages start to ignite. War is brewing and if I was the twenty something woman I would be scared.
This woman just keeps swimming. The sages have hollered at her. The sages have yelled at the 19 year old life guard to do something. The sages have started to swarm.
One particular sages, who happens to be 63, and has figured out that you don't get anything in life by staying safe, decides to take things in her own hands.
First she tries talking to the woman loudly. The woman keeps swimming. Then the sage taps her on the shoulder as she swims by. The woman pauses, says "I was told I can swim here." And continues to keep swimming.
Now you must realizes that there are about 20 silver haired beauties circling, one instructor, one lifeguard, one trainer, one trainee, a father and daughter team, and me in the pool also. We are all watching this twenty year old blow this sage off.
The next thing I know, the sage has stepped forcefully in front of the swimmer, planted her feet securely, and sticks out her belly! The timing was flawless. The twenty something swimmer swam directly into the belly of this woman head first. Direct impact!
The swimmer paused. The swimmer looked around. The swimmer shook it off. The swimmer kept swimming!
Awe...pure Awe. That is all I can say. I am in awe that someone could be that disrespectful to another person. I am also totally in awe that this 63 year old sage is not totally damaged.
The 19 year old finally decides that he should step in and has to tap the swimmer twice before he can get her to stop, but he finally gets her to go to the "lap" lane.
The whole rest of the class is spent talking about the gull of the swimmer and the endurance of our sages. They inform me that this happens all the time and "they" just have to set them straight!
All I have to say is that I am glad that I am in the class and not against it!

No comments:

Post a Comment